Thursday 26 November 2015

Did They Know?


It is time for me to go
And they must have known it too.
For one by one they've arrived,
During this last week or two.

The butterfly that brooded and fussed,
Its wings delicately sheer.
Did it uncannily know,
That when summer prevailed,
I would no longer be here?

The echidna,
Who waddled across my path.
Did he know that this regular walk,
Would soon be one of my last?

Or the little bird,
That perched on my window sill,
Did he know that his ancient tune.
Would no longer rouse me,
As it echoed around the room?

Did those maggies know,
As they merrily splashed and preened?
Did they know that I will not be here,
To enjoy their next captivating scene?

Did those lady bugs know
When I held them in my hand?
That I would not be here,
When they next came to land?

Their unadorned beauty,
Which is often overlooked,
Is beauty nonetheless.
And it is these precious moments,
That showcase nature at its best.

They are magical and mythical
And I see them vividly clear.
I store these images,
So I can visit them,
When I am no longer here.

I know as I close the door for the very last time,
They will continue to visit from time to time.
It is squeals of laughter that will now pierce the air.
For it is a new family who will greet them ...
When I am no longer here.

No comments: